McMaster partners with Operation Wallacea, which offers a series of biological and social science expedition projects that operate in remote locations across the world. These expeditions are designed with specific wildlife conservation aims in mind – from identifying areas needing protection, through to implementing and assessing conservation management programs.
A schedule summarizing essential information on titles, dates, locations, and costs of each of the Programs can be found on the OPWALL Website.
OPWALL sets all program associated costs and provides information regarding travel issues and more. Please read the program and travel descriptions carefully so that you understand what prerequisites are required and what costs will be covered by your payment.
Undergraduate students who register through OPWALL and complete the course requirements, may gain credit in either BIOLOGY 3R03 or 4J03. The format and registration procedures for these courses are different from that for regular McMaster courses and are described below.
Interested In Credit?
To obtain credit, a student must complete a total of two weeks of field work plus assignments.
- Discuss requirements with Dr. Jianping (JP) Xu, LSB-437.
- Complete the application form and safety form and submit to the Undergraduate Academic Program Assistant, LSB-218.
- Register in BIOLOGY 3RF0 (or 4JF0) in the McMaster session in which your module will take place.
- Register in BIOLOGY 3R03 (or 4J03) in the term immediately following your field module and pay the associated tuition fees.
- Thesis projects (6 weeks in the field) are also possible but must be discussed in advance.
Credit is only possible by paying the associated tuition fees.
Students at McMaster can take a minimum of 3 units or a maximum of 6 units worth of field courses towards their degree programs.
Assignments/Requirements For Credit
- Field note book 50%
- 5-7 page summary 25% (submitted after return)
- Formal presentation 25% (presentation night in BIOLOGY 2F03)
Further details available from Dr. Jianping (JP) Xu